Photo Credit: Getty Images
1. Most people know that St Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious holiday celebrating the Patron Saint of Ireland, St. Patrick, but did you know St. Patrick was not Irish?
2. Until recently allwere required by law to be closed on St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland.
3. It is a huge faux pax to call the holiday St. Patty’s Day. The correct names are St. Patrick’s Day and St. Paddy’s Day.
4. The St. Patrick‘s Daywas invented in the United States.
5. More than 100 St Patrick’s Day parades are held every year in the United States. The biggest celebrations are in New York City and Boston.
6. The world’s shortest St. Patrick’s Day parade is in Dripsey, Cork. The parade lasts just 100 yards and travels between the village’s two pubs.
7. Shamrocks refer to many plants not just one.
8. The color of Saint Patrick was blue not green.
9. Wearing of the green started as a song of resistance.
10. Chicago dyes its river green on St. Patrick’s Day.
11. St. Patrick’s Day has been celebrated in space – twice.