There are a lot of single people in America, and there’s no doubt they can be pretty fascinating. With that in mind, Match has come out with their seventh annual "Singles In America Study," which reveals their thought and feelings on a variety of subjects.
Not surprisingly, the stigma of looking for love online continues to decrease. The survey finds that 53% of Americans have created a dating profile, with 40% of singles saying they’ve dated someone they met online.
Online presence is also very influential in how a date judges you, with 42% of singles saying they form an opinion about a date by their social media posts, while another 42% judge them by their photos. Other characteristics folks judge dates on include grammar (39%), their teeth/smile (37%) their outfit (35%).
The survey covered a whole host of other topics. Among the findings:
- 15% of singles say they are addicted to looking for a date, with men 97% more likely to feel addicted, and women feeling a bit more burned out by dating (54%)
- 71% of men find it attractive when women offer to split the bill on a date, while 47% of women offer to pay the bill to be polite or assert their independence
- 75% of singles are turned off if someone answers their phone during a date without offering any explanation
- 66% are turned off if you text someone during a date, 57% are upset if you read the occasional text during a date and 41% think it's rude to take your phone with you to the bathroom or outside
- Folks want dates who share their taste in technology, with Android users 15-times more likely to have a negative opinion about an iPhone user and iPhone users 21-times more likely to judge an Android user negatively
- Women are 92% more likely to judge you if you have an older model phone and those with older phones are 56% less likely to get a date in the year
- Facebook complainers are a big turnoff to singles (58%), as are those who are too active on social media (50%)
- One in three singles have had sex before a first date, with Millennials 48% more likely to have first date sex than any other generationlove