V101 Afternoon DJ Big Al Sams ventures down the hall to sister station NewsRadio KFBK and hangs out with the KFBK Morning News to give his review on what movies are worth paying to see this #Oscar weekend...
GET OUT (Horror, Mystery)
WHAT'S IT ABOUT? A young African American man visits his European American girlfriend's family estate where he learns that many of its residents, who are black, have gone missing, and he soon learns the horrible truth when another frantic African-American warns him to "get out". He soon learns this is easier said than done.
WHO'S IN IT? Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford, Catherine Keener
- Jordan Peele's (of Key and Peele) feature film directorial debut.
- Peele cited the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) as an inspiration for making this his feature film writing-directing debut; the film had an African American protagonist and dealt with serious racial issues inside the framework of a horror movie.
- He then went on to explain that from that seed of an idea, he further conceived the movie as a twist on the 1975 movie The Stepford Wives, in which suburban husbands replace their rebellious wives with compliant robots.
COLLIDE (Action Thriller)
WHAT'S IT ABOUT? An American backpacker gets involved with a ring of drug smugglers as their driver, though he winds up on the run from his employers across Cologne high-speed Autobahn.
WHO'S IN IT? Felicity Jones, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley
A UNITED KINGDOM (Romantic Drama)
WHAT'S IT ABOUT? Based on a true story! Prince Seretse Khama of Botswana causes an international stir when he marries a white woman from London in the late 1940s.
WHO'S IN IT? David Oyelewo, Rosamund Pike, Jack Davenport
- The actual Prince Seretse Khama's grandson makes a brief appearance in the movie.
- The house used as Ruth & Seretse's home in the film was the home of the real Ruth & Seretse.
- The Botswanan people were invited to be extras in the film. On the first day of filming, 3000 people turned up.
- This movie reunites David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike for the first time since Jack Reacher (2012).