In this addition of "Movies with Big Al" we get reviews of Dunkirk, Girls Trip, and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. All of these are now playing at a theater near you!
Listen to Big Al weekdays
5:30-10am on V101.1
VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS (Sci-Fi / Action)
WHAT IT'S ABOUT? A dark force threatens Alpha, a vast metropolis and home to species from a thousand planets. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.
WHO'S IN IT? Cara Delevingne, Dane DeHaan, Clive Owen, Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, John Goodman
- Directed by Luc Besson (The Fifth Element, Lucy)
- Based on the French science fiction comics series Valérian and Laureline.
- With a budget of $180 million, it is the most expensive independent film ever made.
- The first two trailers use the Beatles song "Because." It's the first time that a master recording from the band has been featured in a film ad. Paul McCartney himself gave the OK, because he's a fan of Luc Besson.
DUNKIRK (WWII Drama)
WHAT IT'S ABOUT? Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.
WHO'S IN IT? Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, Harry Styles
- Though the movie runs an hour and 46 minutes, the screenplay was only 76 pages long.
- The movie used more than 50 boats, the most ever put on film.
- One Direction singer Harry Styles had a personal bodyguard on set to keep away his female fans.
GIRLS TRIP (Comedy)
WHAT IT'S ABOUT? When four lifelong friends travel to New Orleans for the annual Essence Festival, sisterhoods are rekindled, wild sides are rediscovered, and there's enough dancing, drinking, brawling and romancing to make the Big Easy blush.
WHO'S IN IT? Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett Smith, Tiffany Haddis
- Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith last co-starred in Set It Off (1996).
- Mariah Carey, Ne-Yo, Faith Evans and MC Lyte appear in the movie as themselves.
- The budget was $28 million.