There's an old saying about "if a tree falls in the woods - and no one's there to hear it, does it make a sound?" So if no one's home except the family dog - how do you know he's the one who started a fire? Thanks to a little thing called home surveillance cameras.
That's what a family in Southwick, Massachusetts learned when local firefighters responded to put out the flames. Thanks to a home surveillance cam, we get to see the unnamed family's golden retriever home with a second golden retriever. Apparently hungry, the dog went to the stove and got up on his hind legs to snatch the flapjacks. That's when he hit the ignition button on the gas stove.
The good news? The alarm system was working, and it alerted emergency responders who saved the day. There was also minimal damage. As the department points out, "If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls." Good call!
Source: Southwick Fire Department