It seems as though we are constantly hearing about a new health fad that’s all the rage, like say the Keto diet, or CrossFit. As long as folks are trying to get healthy, there will be some willing to do anything to reach their goal, and over the years there have certainly been some crazy things people have done in the name of health.
Well, vitamin supplement company Swanson Health is celebrating their 49th anniversary by looking back at some of the crazier health fads of the last five decades and while some of us may remember some of them, there are plenty of folks out there who’ll be left shaking their heads.
Crazy health fads from the past five decades include:
- 1960s – The Buttermilk Diet – Had folks drinking six glasses a day
- 1970s – Air Shorts & Air Jeans – These inflatable shorts put pressure on the waist, hips and thighs, allegedly massaging and soothing muscles as people move.
- 1970s – The Cookie Diet – Folks got to eat six cookies a day.
- 1970s – The Grapefruit Diet – You had to eat a grapefruit at every meal.
- 1980s – Buns of Steel – Exercises that emphasized the booty
- 1980s - The Cabbage Soup Diet – Cabbage soup for 10 days. Wouldn’t want to be in a room with that person.
- 1990s – The Thighmaster – Six million of these were sold in the first year
- 2000s – Christian Bale Diet – Followed the actor’s apples and tuna only diet for “The Machinist”
- 2000s – P9OX – A 90-day intense workout
- 2010s – The Shake Weight – A device that shook while you held it, allegedly to tone your body
- 2010s – Prancercise – A combo of dancing while walking, made famous in this viral video.
Click here to check out some more wacky health fads of the past five decades.
Source: Swanson Vitamins